Monday, December 5, 2011

December Harvester Newsletter

Emanuel: “God With Us”
By President and Sister Nilsen

Reconcile. When used in a religious context,
reconcile mean “to sit again with Christ.” This
beautiful image brings to mind our place in the
universe when we exercise the Atonement. Christ
is our center and host and, depending upon our
choices, we sit at His table and feast or we slide our
chairs back and want. As missionaries, we boldly
invite everyone to sit again with Christ. Amy
Grant’s Christmas song “Emanuel” reminds us that
the Savior is ever present for all.

Emanuel, God with us
Emanuel!
Emanuel, God with us,
The Son of Israel.

And still he calls
Beyond the night
And through the days of old
A voice of peace
To the weary ones
Who struggle with the human soul

All of us
Travelers
Through a given time
Who can know
What tomorrow holds?
But over the horizon,
Surely you and I will find.

Emanuel, God with us
Emanuel!
Emanuel, God with us,
The Son of Israel.

And the years they come,
And the years they go
Though we may forget somehow
That the child once born in Bethlehem
Is still among us now






Our invitation to sit again with the Lord begins
with our badge. It gives us courage and
introduction to represent Christ and invite others to
join him. It is a visual reminder that we have taken
upon ourselves the first ordinance, that we take his
name upon us, that we live and teach His message.
The Book of Mormon beautifully depicts that
wondrous reconciliation when the sons and
daughters of God finally recognize the invitation to
pull up a chair at the feast and feet of the Lord. In
3 Nephi 11:3-15, when the people first heard the
voice of the Father, “they understood not the voice
which they heard…again they heard the voice, and
they understood not….And again the third time
they did hear the voice and did open their ears to
hear it; and their eyes were towards the sound
thereof…and they did understand the voice which
they heard, ‘Behold my Beloved Son, in whom I am
well pleased, in whom I have glorified my name –
hear ye Him.’ … As they understood, they cast their
eyes up again toward heaven. ‘Behold, I am Jesus
Christ whom the prophets testified shall come into
the world... I am the light and the life of the world;
and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the
Father hath given me and have glorified the Father
in taking upon me the sins of the world… Arise and
come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands
into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of
the nails in my hands and in my feet that ye may
know that I am the God of Israel…’ …and they did
know of a surety…” This is the Christmas message -
that for us there is no last supper, we can sit
forever with the Lord. This is the message that we
bring to those weary ones who struggle with the
human soul. This is the message from angels and
from us that says, “Fear not: for, behold I bring you
good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all
people. For unto you is born this day in the city of
David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.” (Luke
2:10-11) May we invite all to know that the child
once born in Bethlehem is still among us now.
***

“Good tidings of great joy!”

―BAH! HUMBUG!‖ That was Ebenezer Scrooge’s response to anyone greeting him with Merry
Christmas as Charles Dickens described him 150 years ago in his timeless story, ―A Christmas Carol‖.
Ebenezer was a ―squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous old sinner.‖
As you know from the story, it took four ghosts visiting Ebenezer during a restless Christmas Eve
night to soften his rock-hard heart. But, even though he was nearly beyond hope, he did change, he was
softened, he truly had a change of heart. In fact, at the end of the story Dickens describes him as follows:
―He became as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man, as the old city knew.‖
The miracle of this story and of our work as missionaries is that man can change. Indeed we all
have a huge capacity to change. As missionaries that is exactly why we are here - to help change people’s
hearts, starting with our own.
Just like the heavenly host of angels who sang to the shepherds on that first Christmas – singing
praises and bringing ―good tidings of great joy . . . peace on earth, good will toward men‖— as missionar-
ies, you are today’s heaven-sent messengers bearing the same tidings. You are messengers of peace. You
are bringing a message of great joy that has the power to help change hearts. The spirit of Christ does
―give light to every man that cometh into the world‖ (D&C 84:46). Many times people will not admit it,
but they are touched by thoughts of Christ at this season when we celebrate his birth.
We gladly declare Jesus Christ as the One who can change hearts. Our message is that He lives. He
has redeemed us from death and saved us from our sins. He is the Son of God, born of Mary in Bethlehem
of Judea.
What a blessing to be a missionary at Christmas time. May the Lord bless you in this sacred work
of testifying of Christ and helping change hearts.

George Rahlf, Counselor
Ohio Columbus Mission Presidency
***

WARNING: Ignoring this advice could be injurious to your health !

Dr. Bart and Sister Janie Brower are our new Area Medical Advisors.
They are originally from Idaho but have lived in Chillicothe for two years and
Chillicothe will continue to be their home as they serve the 12 missions in the
North America Northeast Area. Dr. Brower is a retired family-practice physi-
cian and Sister Brower was a registered nurse. We are blessed to have them
as Area Advisors and very pleased that they will be living in our mission.

Dr. Brower’s first advice to all of you is: Get your flu shot ! This is espe-
cially important if you have a chronic disease (e.g., diabetes, asthma). As you know, influenza, or flu, is a
viral illness that commonly occurs in the winter and affects many people at once. Cold and flu symptoms
resemble each other, but they differ in intensity. A cold generally starts out with some minor sniffling and
sneezing, but the flu hits you all at once. You’re fine one hour and in bed the next. The best remedy is to
avoid getting the flu in the first place!

Unfortunately, missionaries must pay for their own flu shots, but if it saves you a week or more of mis-
ery, it’s worth it. (Note: present your mission medical card. Depending on your insurance, some of you
may be qualified for free flu shots. If not, the cost ranges from $25 to $35 per shot.) Your parents have
been advised via the mission blog that you will need money to pay for a flu shot, so don’t hesitate to ask
them. They—and we—want you to be well and safe at all times.
***

NOVEMBER 2011 HARVEST
Converts Taught By
Bauer, Lauren A. Elders Hombs & Lamm
Bliss, James Cecil Elders Hill, Satchwell, Cannon
Boyer, Sharae Maree Elders Ogden and Pearson

Cole, Carolyn Sue Elders Cannon, Ingram, Pearson,
and Noah Allen Ballard, Fisco
Cornes, Lee James Sisters Beck & Lytle

Fuston, Rachel Lynn Elders M. Anderson & Nikolaus
Gage, Sandra Sue Elders Allred & Bullock

Hickle, Joshua Sisters Kluzek, O’Brien, Larsen
Hornsby, Brandon Elders Chisholm, Collett, Reed,
Holbrook
Huston, Richard A. Elders Hemmert & Holgreen

Keene, Matthew Adam Elders Bruderer, Fullmer, Nitz,
Martin
Keipert, Karen E. Elders Lund, Richardson,
Cannon, Ingram
Mandujano, Alfredo R., Elders Fisco, Luna, Jensen,
Josefina, Isaias, Wheadon
Lizbeth

Nichols, Abram D. Elders Reynolds, Holt,
A. Anderson
Nichols, Monika C. Elders Klein & Cummings

Reinhart, Douglas Elders Haws, Scott, Saunders
Reinhart, Jamie Elders Haws, Scott, Saunders
Ryan, Elaine Yvonne Elders Bowers, Nelson, Johnson
Sunnyway, Emanuel Elders Byington & Morley
Thompson, Stacey Elders Larson, Beaudoin, Smoot
***

REMEMBER the OHIO COLUMBUS MISSION STANDARDS OF EXCELLENCE

Areas of Focus
1. We are 100% obedient all the time.
2. We are ALWAYS FINDING.
3. We SERVE the members and EARN their
referrals.
4. We INVITE all new investigators during the
first lesson to be baptized, read the Book of
Mormon, and attend church. (We strongly
encourage informal chapel tours.)
5. We ACHIEVE our goals through faith, prayer,
fasting and exceptionally hard and smart
work.

Weekly Companionship Goals
1. We have 80% + ―member present‖ for les-
sons after the first discussion.
2. We find 2 or more new investigators each
week. We always have 15-20 part-member or
less-active families/individuals we are serving.
3. We teach 20 lessons a week.
4. We complete one short service project per
week, preferably serving our Bishops and
Ward Mission Leaders. Build trust and earn
their referrals.
5. We achieve all of our morning schedules —
100% per week — the foundation of our day.

Monthly Companionship Goal
Baptize one person or family every month!
***

The Time Shall Come
Elder L. Whitney Clayton of the Seventy

This work of the Lord is indeed great and marvelous, but
it moves forward essentially unnoticed by many of man-
kind’s political, cultural, and academic leaders. It progresses
one heart and one family at a time, silently and unobtru-
sively, its sacred message blessing people everywhere.
A verse in the Book of Mormon provides a key to the
miraculous growth of the Church today: ―And moreover, I
say unto you, that the time shall come when the knowledge
of a Savior shall spread throughout every nation, kindred,
tongue, and people.‖
Our most important message, which we are both divinely
commissioned and commanded to take everywhere in the
world, is that there is a Savior. He lived in the meridian of
time. He atoned for our sins, was crucified, and was resur-
rected. That matchless message, which we proclaim with
authority from God, is the real reason this Church grows as
it does. (October General Conference, 2011)
***
Baptized & Confirmed— by Zone (as of 12/1/11)

Zone Sep Oct Nov
Cincinnati 0 2 4
Cincinnati -East 0 2 3
Cincinnati North 3 7 8
Columbus 1 1 1
Columbus East 2 6 5
Columbus North 1 2 2
Columbus South 1 3 0
Dayton 4 4 1
Dayton East 3 5 0
Totals 15 32 24
***

New Arrivals:
Sister J. Blackham, Orem, UT; Sister K. Brignone, Corning, NY; Sister B. Kay, Snowflake,AZ; Sister R. Rogerson, Poway, CA; Elder S. Hutchinson, St. George, UT; Elder E. Larsen, Broomfield, CO; Elder J. Pali, Ogden, UT

Departing Missionaries Testimonies:

Words cannot do justice to the experience that I have
had over the past couple of years.
There are many, many people adrift in a sea of confu-
sion, but the Holy Ghost harbors us in the restored
truths of the gospel.
I have had countless undeniable confirmations that
this is Christ’s church restored again to the earth
through Joseph Smieth, a modern-day prophet and seer.
I know God will answer the prayer of an earnest seeker
of truth.
I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God. I
know we are led by a living prophet, President Thomas
S. Monson. I know that my Savior lives and that He
loves each and every single one of us.
I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Doctrine & Covenants 112:10
Elder Jordan McKinley Driggs


I know the Book of Mormon is true. Christ lives!
Thomas S. Monson is a prophet. Families will be to-
gether forever as we follow the gospel of Jesus Christ.
The Holy Ghost guides us daily and angels have come
to help us prepare the hearts of God’s children. God
loves us! In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Elder Jesse Jay Fisco


―Be glad for if ye be not glad, ye could be sad. Be
glad, for if ye be not glad, ye could be mad, but don’t
get mad — get glad!‖ Well, I am Elder Glad.
I know that the Church of Jesus Christ is true. I know
that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer. He lives! I
know the Atonement is real. It works, and helps relieve
us of the burden of sin. Missionary work is hard and
tough, but SO worth it. The joy and peace and ―glad tid-
ings of great joy‖ that you can bring to people through the
spirit is worth every sacrifice!
I know that Thomas S. Monson is the living modern-
day prophet on the earth today. I have been glad for the
opportunity to serve in The Great Ohio. In the name of
Jesus Christ, Amen.
Elder Andrew James Glad


I know Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. I have felt
the Healer’s hands, I have heard the Master’s voice. I
know Him, love Him, and will serve Him forever.
I know Joseph Smith is a prophet of God, ―he lived
great, and he died great in the eyes of God and his peo-
ple.‖ (D&C 135:3). I know that because of Joseph’s
humble and sincere prayer, a great work has been set in
motion that wil never stop until the Lord says, ―The work
is done‖. (Joseph Smith)
The Book of Mormon is the world of God; when I read
it, I feel the words of Christ bind my broken heart and
heal my wounded soul. Use it to heal those you teach.
As you do so, I know the Book of Mormon will witness of
itself.
I love our Lord. I am forever indebted to Him, and I
will serve Him to the end. In Christ’s name, Amen.
Elder Spencer Lee Hill

‘Tis the last and the first,
For the limits of time, it steps o’er.
Though the heavens depart and
The earth’s fountains burst,
Truth, the sum of existence,
Will weather the worst,
Eternal, unchanged, evermore.
(Hymn #272—O Say, What Is Truth?)
I know that the fulness of truth can be found from only
one source: God. He has revealed His truth again and has
shown us ―the way‖ (Jacob 4:8, 13). The Church of Jesus
Christ of Latter-day Saints is God’s church, untainted by
the traditions of men, founded on the rock of personal and
prophetic revelation.
Jesus Christ is the author and finisher of our faith. He is
the law and the light. Joseph Smith and Thomas S. Mon-
son are numbered among the ambassadors for Christ to
whom He has given the ministry of reconciliation. (2 Co-
rinthians 5:16-21). That is the truth. Ya tu sabes. Asi es.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Elder Kyle John Klein

My fellow missionaries,
There comes a time in everyone’s life when decisions
have to be made whether to toil, to labor, or to just plain
waste your days away. For me, that time came twice. I am
grateful that when God reached out in His mercy and asked,
a second time, for me to serve Him, that I had allowed my-
self to be prepared by Him for this cause.
I don’t know everything and I am far from perfect, but I
know enough.
I know God answers prayers.
I know that Jesus Christ, the Eternal Savior, the Son of
God, the Promised Messiah, atoned for each of us.
I know we have a personal responsibility to walk as He
walked.
I know the Book of Mormon is true; I can feel it. It came
about by the sacrifice of many of God’s chosen prophets
and it is worth the lives lost.
I love this work and I will never let it cease. In the name
of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Elder Thomas J. Larsen

I love this mission, it has been the greatest period of growth in my life.
I know we are the children of God and
we have the potential to become like Him. I also know that
the magnitude of our potential means nothing if we never
reach it. It would only determine the extent of our tragedy.
I thought a mission would be as easy as saying, ―Alright,
God, thy will be done. Take over for two years.‖ But it’s
not; we must earnestly seek out the will of God and coura-
geously follow it each day.Every single day we have to be
involved and pour our hearts into the work, and by doing so
we are changed and become new men through the grace of
our Savior.
There are many who have moved on and many who are
still in this mission whom I love more than I can express. I
am forever in your debt for your influence and examples.
You are angels in my eyes. It has been the greatest honor of
my life to serve our God and our Savior by your side.
It’s all true, brethren! Press on! In the name of Jesus
Christ, Amen.
Elder Gordon Neil Scott

Elders and Sisters of The Great Ohio Mission,
My time as a servant of the Lord has been one of learning
and growth. I have come to know my Father in Heaven
more deeply. I have truly felt His love not only for me, but
also for those with whom I have come in contact.
Serving in The Great Ohio part of the vineyard has been
the greatest blessing Heavenly Father has ever given me.
We have been chosen to build His kingdom. All of this is
possible because our Savior Jesus Crhist suffered, died, and
rose again. He goes before us and prepares the way.
This is His work. Remember—when the going gets
tough—it is His work and it will not fail.
This has been an experience that has greatly enriched my
life and I am indebted to my Father in Heaven. The Book of
Mormon changes people’s lives; let it change yours.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Elder Zachary John Sites

This has been the most incredible experience of my life.
I am so grateful for the many leaders, companions, mis-
sionaries, and friends that I have been able to associate
with. I am so in debt to my Heavenly Father for blessings
me so much, and also to my Savior, who gives me life.
I know this is His church. I know happiness and joy
come through obedience to the principles and ordinances of
the gospel.
The Book of Mormon is true and the way to peace in this
life and eternal life in the life to come.
I know we have a prophet on the earth today and that Je-
sus Christ leads this church. I know that He lives and loves
us more than we can know and I am so grateful to have felt
that love. Don’t sell yourself short—our potential is to be
like Him! In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Elder Alex Wilson Nelson
***


HEALTH TIPS
from Brother Young

 Have a thermometer so you can tell if
you have a fever or not.
 Do not take any forms of physical training supple-
ments.
 Take prescription medication as ordered, finish
antibiotics even if you feel well.
 Don’t let your prescriptions for ongoing chronic
conditions run out.
 Keep smiling, we love you.
 Call Michael Young, R.N. if you have health ques-
tions or problems (614-837-9289 or cell

***

ZONE CONFERENCE AWARDS and RECOGNITION, Given by Zone Leaders
Cincinnati Zone
Most Baptisms: Elders Allred & Bullock (Highland Heights)
Best ―Finders‖: Elders Ipson & Wheadon (Ohio River Spanish I)
Best Member Involvement: Elders Vea & Radford (Northern Kentucky)
―Flying High Miracle Award‖: Elders Iverson & Tolman (Norwood/University YSA)
―Never-Ending Companionship‖ Award: Elders Hawkins & Smith (Lawrenceburg)

Cincinnati East Zone
Most Baptisms: Elders Hales & Hoole (Eastgate/East Cherry Spanish)
Best ―Finders‖: Elders M. Anderson & Nikolaus (Cherry Grove)
Best Member Involvement: Elders Reddish & Smoot (Georgetown)
―Going Forward With Faith‖ Award: Elders Bedford & Rasmussen (Milford)
―Walking Music‖ Award: Elders T. Larsen & J. Smith (Wilmington)

Cincinnati North Zone
Most Baptisms: Elders Fisco & Luna (Miami River Spanish)
Best ―Finders‖: Elders Bruderer & Fullmer (Western Hills)
Best Member-Involvement: Elders Lund & Richardson (Fairfield)
―Most Beastly Morning Workout‖ Award: Elders Bruderer & Fullmer (Western Hills)
―Up and Coming‖ Award: Sisters Whitecar & Brignone (Oxford)

Columbus Zone
Most Baptisms: Elders Hill & Satchwell (Riverside)
Best ―Finders‖: Elders Oakley & Holbrook (Franklin I Spanish South)
Best Member-Involvement: Elders Ragan & Roach (Franklin I Spanish West)
―Most Sickly Companionship‖ Award: Elders M. Brown & Evans (Hayden Run)
―Glo-Stick Set On A Hill‖ Award: Elders Jackson & Wilson (Westland & University)

Columbus East Zone
Most Baptisms: Elder Cummings & Klein (Mt. Vernon)
Best Finders: Elders Garner & Jensen (Franklin II Spanish)
Best Member-Involvement: Sisters Tilby & Richardson (Westerville I)
―Best Attitude of Gratitude‖ Award: Elder Hemmert & Price (Coshocton)
―Most Likely to be on SNL‖ Award: Elders Ogden & Pearson (New Albany)

Columbus North Zone
Most Baptisms: Elders Redford & Beck (OSU 1)
and Elders Chisholm & Collette (OSU 2)
Best ―Finders‖: Sisters Szymanski & Rogerson (Clear Fork)
Best Member Involvement: Elders Gwynn & Williamson (Marion)
―Most Improved Area‖ Award: Elders Sites & Ewert (Mansfield)
―Most Likely to be Bitten by a Dog‖ Award: Sisters Larsen & Blackham (Lewis Center/Powell)

Columbus South Zone
Most Baptisms: Elders Driggs & Daw (Athens)
Best ―Finders‖: Elders Platte and G. Brown (Chillicothe)
Best Member-Involvement: Elders Fagergren & King (Reynoldsburg)
―Best Goat-Roping Rednecks‖: Elders Blackburn & Ottley (Jackson)

Dayton Zone
Most Baptisms: Elders Hombs & Pali (Middletown)
Best ―Finders‖: Elders Hawks & Germer (Dayton Spanish I)
Best Member-Involvement: Elders A. Anderson & Allen (Springboro)
―Most Diligent Companionship‖ Award: Elders Gonzalez & Price (Dayton)
―Best Beach Body‖ Award: Elders Borgia & Riquelme (Centerville)

Dayton East Zone
Most Baptisms: Sisters Oliverson & Kay (Springfield)
Best ―Finders‖: Elders Unzaga & Steglich (Fairborn/Dayton YSA)
Best Member Involvement: Elders Robinson & Riggs (Xenia)
―Most On-Track Attractive Tracters‖ Award: Elders Hulse & Richards (Beavercreek)
―Feed Me Before I Eat You‖ Award: Elders N. Anderson & T. Vakalahi (Sidney

No comments:

Post a Comment