Tuesday, August 7, 2012
The Harvester, August 2012
The Harvester
OHIO COLUMBUS MISSION
August 2012
“I Knew It and I Knew That God Knew It”
President and Sister Nilsen
There comes a time in every investigator’s journey when they have to decide if they love and respect God more than the offerings of the world, when the voices of family and friends matter less than the love they feel for the Savior after searching the scriptures and feeling the Spirit confirm the truth of all things.
Joseph Smith, in his testimony of the appearance of the Father and Son, said in JSH 1:25, “…I saw two personages and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true; and while they were persecuting me, reviling me, and speaking all manner of evil against me falsely for so saying, I was led to say in my heart: Why persecute me for telling the truth? I have actually seen a vision and who am I that I can withstand God, or why does the world think to make me deny what I have actually seen? For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God and come under condemnation.”
We have all had experiences when the spirit has testified to us and “we knew it and we knew that God knew it.” Such is the experience of our Amish members. Their journey into the restored Gospel, which began very carefully last fall, has brought them to the point in time where their communities are discovering that they have become new creatures, “…all nations, kindreds, tongues and people, must be born again; yea, born of God, …being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters; and thus they become new creatures; and unless they do this they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.” (Mosiah27:25-26).What are you willing to place upon the altar of the Lord? Would you be willing to be shunned, to have family, friends and neighbors stop speaking to you, stop doing business with you, stop working for you,stop allowing your children to attend the local school or be playmates, because they felt it would be better for you to experience, in a sense, outer darkness so that you would come back into the safety of their fold? These are the likely consequences for our Amish members; they are new creatures and will not turn back to the fold that kept them from further light and knowledge. While they will remain Amish in their culture, one said, “I don’t care what happens, I just want to be able to live and talk about the gospel openly and I want that for my family, I feel so free!” The gospel of Jesus Christ is restored upon the earth, they know it and they know that God knows it and they cannot deny it, neither dare they.
The Savior taught, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment.” (Matt. 22:37-38) What are we willing to do to show that love? While we are not sacrificing at this time like our Amish members, using the only gift that God will not take from us, our agency, do we choose to give all? Do we choose to give our will at 6:30 a.m.?Do we continuously remember our purpose as missionaries and run everything we do through that filter?Do we follow in the footsteps of the Savior in our actions and thoughts? May we continue to show our love for the Lord, our God with all our hearts, with all our souls and with all our minds. This has to happen to everyone who seriously considers the Doctrine of Christ.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 2
2“The Ohio – A Land Ready for Harvest – Again”
David W. Martin, Executive Secretary, Ohio Columbus Mission
The Ohio is a land on which prehistoric people built monuments, Native Americans called sacred, and the Lord declared as the first gathering place in this dispensation (D&C 37; 39:13-17). Throughout the generations, Ohio has been revered as a special place,whether by its original inhabitants, its conquerors, and most revealing, by the Lord. To be called to “preach, teach, and baptize” (seeD&C 50:13-14) in the Ohio Columbus Mission should cause humble gratitude and a bit of trembling. I know of no other land so revered, either by God or man. It is evident that He has the greatest trust in you because of the faith you have previously exhibited in your life. You should know that as early as the 1830s, the missionaries were criss crossing through Ohio, preaching as they went. And, yes, they endured the interesting Ohio weather that you do. (Just think! You have just lived through the hottest July on record in Ohio –almost 10 degrees above the normal. That’s a journal entry, for sure.) One of early Church missionaries, Elder Henry Bigler, shares his experience of preaching in Ohio during the frigid winter months.From his detailed journal entries, we learn the following:The Lord blesses His servants in time of need.He puts thoughts in your mind and words in your mouth at the exact time you need them. After trials (some severe) come the blessings of the harvest.By late summer of 1842, John C. Bennett had become a bitter enemy of the Church due to his excommunication for adultery. He began publishing material against the Prophet Joseph and the Church. In August 1842, Joseph organized a special conference to calls pecific brethren on missions to “rebut Bennett’s lies and disabuse the public mind.” From Elder Bigler’s journal, we read:“Among the number sent out I was sent. I started in company with my cousin Jacob G. Bigler and Josias W. Fleming. We traveled together as far as Fulton County, Illinois, preached a few times. Here we parted and I was left alone. I traveled a few miles and stopped and tried to get a place to preach. I did preach once or twice and offered to preach but to no purpose.”Elder Bigler stayed in Fulton County until Alpheus Harmon, an elder from Nauvoo, arrived. Together, they continued through Illinois,Indiana, and into Ohio. Notice his sense of humor in the next segment.“Not meeting with any opportunity to preach and growing pretty late in the fall season, [Elder Harmon] concluded to return home (perhaps felt discouraged) to Nauvoo. So we shook hands and parted, leaving our blessings on each other, he for Nauvoo and I to continue alone once more on my mission. Poor man, I heard afterwards that he froze to death just before he reached home while crossing a prairie. I continued my journey traveling in a north western part of the state of Ohio, preach-ing every chance I got till I struck the [Auglaize] River. The weather began to grow cold and my clothes not good, getting worse of the wear. I commenced to inquire for labor with my hands instead of preaching, though however telling the people who I was, where from, and what my business was, etc. A man that owned a saw mill on the [Auglaize] River [put] me to work one month, his name was [Samuel] Mires, a Dutchman. He treated me very kindly though he would oppose the truth. While at work for this man I preached a few times in the neighborhood. After my month was up and got my pay which was all very good except a pair of shoes. In this Mires put me off with a very inferior pair and altogether too large for me. In this thing I felt hard towards him for I have no doubt but he could [have] done better. I left his house feeling more like leaving a cursing than a blessing upon him.In the early days of missionary work, there was no meal calendar or preset times to visit with members. Rather, the missionaries (and in Elder Bigler’s situation, he was the only missionary) set out being directly entirely by the Spirit as to which direction to go. Note in Elder Bigler’s next entry he makes sure the reader understands the blustery conditions he is in.“It was now winter and snow on the ground and very cold. I think it was the first or second day after leaving Mires I called late in the afternoon at a respectable looking house to get lodging for the night was cold and I was hungry and tired having walked some distance that day through woods the most of the way. I rapped at the door and was bid come in. When I entered I asked if they would please keep a servant of the Lord all night. The man of the house was either making or mending a pair of shoes. He looked at me and asked where I was from and what persuasion I was of. I told him I was from Nauvoo, Illinois, and belonged to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I saw he was puzzled and did not understand. He, however, replied and said he had never heard of that order before. I then told him we were known as “Mormonites,” a fictitious name given us in consequence of a book we believed in, entitled the Book of Mormon. He hesitated and at last said he had heard of those people and could not keep me. He had a large family mostly grown up and they all gazed at me as I stood with my valise in my hand (for they had not offered me a seat) as though I was some great monster.It is evident from Elder Bigler’s next journal paragraph that the Spirit had directed him to this home, and caused an instant change of heart upon the man. Also, notice Elder Bigler’s comment about his ability to teach by the Spirit.“As soon as he told me he could not keep me overnight I turned round on my heels and went out, shutting the door after me and passed out of the yard into the road leaving for some other quarters, when all at once I was called back by the same person . . . Mr. McMelon. He called me back and told me he would keep me all night and wished to have a talk with me and make some inquiries about my people and our religion, etc. He invited me to take a seat near the fire and as I began to talk a friendly spirit was manifested and Mr. McMelon told me to make myself as comfortable as I could, that it was chore time, for me to sit by the fire and warm myself while he was out doing up his chores and it would soon be supper time. So I had a good supper and warm fire to sit by and all seemed anxious to listen and learn what the Mormons had to say. At dusk a peddler called to stay all night, as soon as he learned who I was he commenced to put down Mormonism and did his best to upset it by the Bible but the Lord was with me and I confounded him at every turn and McMelon and his family saw it so plain that my host told the peddler that it was no use for I had the scriptures all in my favor.Thus far in Elder Bigler’s mission, his trials had been that his companion had left him, the weather, his poor clothing including his oversized boots, and some adversity from a peddler. These trials seemed only to strengthen him. In this next segment of Elder Bigler’sjournal, you can see that the adversary never gave up trying to dissuade this faithful missionary. Keep in mind that all of this was occur-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 3
“It was Saturday night, the next day being Sunday, Mr. McMelon invited me to go with him to a Lutheran meeting there was in the neighborhood and I might give out an appointment to preach that evening at his house at early candlelight. He introduced me to the Lutheran preacher. The minister received me very kindly and in a friendly way he preached a very good discourse. After he got through he invited me to speak which I did and at the close of my remarks I gave out my appointment for the night at Mr. McMelon's. The preacher invited the people to turn out to hear me for he believed I was a good man. I had a crowd to preach to, that night and from thence doors were opened for me to preach and I sent out appointments and made my home at McMelon's for some time, but soon the people began to grow hard. While I was preaching one evening a mob came to tar and feather me and ride me on a rail. The man of the house where I was preaching told them that the first man who attempted to lay hands on me he would shoot him with his rifle for I was preaching the truth and he meant I should not bemolested while I was under his roof and bid the mob sit down and listen. There was another man who was my friend he came to the place where I stood and took his seat on it, he was determined I should not be disturbed if he could help it. The mob quietly sat down and when I got done they dispersed without any fuss.“A few evenings after this I was invited to preach in a school house. When I got there the house was filled with men and but one candle. I knew there was something up. I, however, did preach as soon as I dismissed meeting one man came to me with alight and invited me to go home with him. As soon as we were out of the house I received a snow balling, though the most of the balls missed me. At that instant two men rode up on horseback and inquired if there was not a Mormon Elder and where he was. I spoke and told them I was the elder, they then invited me to get up behind one of them and go home with them for they wanted to talk with me, that they lived six miles hence and at a late hour they heard of the meeting and had come to hear me preach and was sorry they had been so late. I was glad enough to meet with seeming friends. I got up behind one and after riding a short distance they told me they were brethren in the Church [and] were on their way with their families to Nauvoo and had stopped in the town of Lima to winter. The names of those two brethren were Cale and Ire Oviatte, with them I had a home and preached in the court house in Lima and in the adjoining neighborhood. Here a Campbellite minister by the nameof Moses Bornorn would follow me to my appointments and do his best to down the truth and to destroy my influence among the people. A number told me they believed what I preached but no one obeyed it. . . .“I continued traveling and preaching whenever I got a chance till I arrived in Athens County, Ohio. Here I found a small branch of the Church built up by Elder Abraham Rose who was living here with his family. Here I stopped a few days and preached several times. Small branches of the Church were organized all around central and southern Ohio in the 1830-40s, including Athens County, ClarkCounty (Springfield), Clinton County, Delaware County (Sunbury), Green County (Sugar Creek), Hamilton County (Millcreek and Cincinnati), Knox County (Wayne), Licking County (Granville), Montgomery County (Dayton), and Muskingum County (Dresden).Many of these Saints left their homes to follow the Prophet Joseph Smith to Nauvoo. That was the first great harvest of souls.You are part of the next harvest. Many missionaries in this last decade have sown the seeds that you have been called to harvest.Use every honorable means to help these people know that you have come in the name of the Lord, Jesus Christ, to lead them to the ordinance of baptism and the Gift of the Holy Ghost. Teach them that there are congregations ready to assist them in all areas of their life, but most importantly, in partaking of all of the ordinances necessary for exaltation.Of all places on this earth to be called to serve, The Ohio, I am sure is reserved for some of the Lord’s choicest servants, of which you are. I testify to you of the truthfulness of this gospel. I know for myself that God, our Heavenly Father lives, and loves us. I know that Jesus Christ is God’s Only Begotten Son and our Savior and Redeemer. I know that He atoned for the sins and sorrows of all mankind and that because of His sacrifice, we will be resurrected, and if we are faithful, we will live with our families in God’s presence for all eternity. I also know that Joseph Smith was truthful in his testimony. He is the prophet who restored the Church to the earth in these latter days. This is the only true and living Church on earth, and it is led by a prophet, seer, and revelator, President Thomas S.Monson. I sincerely pray that you will diligently work in bringing about this next great harvest in Ohio. In the name of Jesus Christ,Amen.
3SPANISH MESSAGEEl ServicioPues, Hay muchas maneras en que podemos encontrar personas para ensenar. Podemos recibir referencias o tocar puertas ytambién podemos visitar familia en que todos no son miembros. Pero una manera muy eficacia es el servicio.Por Que el prestar servicio es una buena forma de encontrar? Porque tenemos la oportunidad de mostrar nuestro amor ycreencias por nuestras acciones y no solo por nuestras palabras. “Acciones dicen mas que palabras.” De hecho Dice en Juan 14:7 que “Si me conocierais, también a mi padre conoceríais” Cristo mostró su creencia en Dios por medio de su ser y acciones.Necesitamos hacerlo también!Hay oportunidades en todos lados; restaurantes, bibliotecas, escuelas, o tiendas. También podemos prestar servicio paranuestros miembros, espacialmente para el obispado y el líder de la obra misional. Hablen con sus miembros y otros acercade actos de servicio que pueden hacer! El Servicio realmente es una manera que podemos usar para encontrar las personas queestán listos a escuchar de nuestro mensaje. Llámenos si necesitan mas ideas!——Elder Hales y Elder Roach
ELDER NIU’S CAR CORNER: CO-DRIVER OR COMPANION RESPONSIBILITY1. Watch for hazards the driver may not see: speak up and warn the driver immediately when you see something out of place.2. Avoid visiting and silly conversations especially in heavy traffic, congested areas, bad roads, and bad weather.3. When you know the driver is speeding, speak up and remind him/her to slow down! (Don’t wait and just say“oops there is a policeman as you spot the lights flashing to pull your car over.)4. With your companion’s help, inspect tires every morning before driving . Check for low or flat tires, nails, unusual marks, and/or low tread. This will help alert you to potential problems that can be fixed early rather than buying new tires.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 4
Eat Like an Olympian!Your body uses carbohydrates (carbs) to make glucose which is the fuel that gives you energy and helps keep everything going. Your body can use glucose immediately or store it in your liver and muscles for when it is needed. You can find carbohydrates in the following: Fruits, vegetables, bread, cereals, and other grains, milk and milk products, foods containing added sugars (e.g., cakes, cookies, and sugar-sweetened beverages).Healthier foods higher in carbohydrates include ones that provide dietary fiber and whole grains as well as those without added sugars. What about foods higher in carbohydrates such as sodas and candies that also contain added sugars? Those are the ones that add extra calories but not many nutrients to your diet. If you had to make a list of carbs that you should eat more of versus carbs you should avoid, it basically breaks down into simple carbs being "bad" and complex carbs being "good." Complex and simple are terms that deal with how food is broken down into energy (sugar) in the body. Complex carbs Aare good. Complex carbs are the ones that give your body the best fuel. They are usually found in foods high in fiber, which break down more slowly, giving you a steady blood sugar level through the day and making you feel less hungry and irritable when mid-afternoon rolls around. About fifty percent of your daily diet should consist of good carbs, it's a great idea to get more of these carbs into your diet: Fresh fruit, ideally those with a low glycemic index like apricots,raspberries, strawberries and blackberries, foods made from whole grains, such as certain types of bread and cereal,nuts, legumes, that means beans, etc., dairy products that are not sweetened with sugar, such as yogurt, sour cream, cheese and milk and non-starchy veggies such as:AlfalfaSprouts, Artichokes, Asparagus, Avocado, Beans(green, Italian, yellow or wax), Bean Sprouts, Beets, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauli-flower, Celery, Cucumber, Eggplant, Green Onions, Lettuce(endive, escarole, romaine or iceberg), Mushrooms, Onions, Peppers(green, red, yellow, orange, jalapeno), Pumpkin, Radishes, Rhubarb, Sau-erkraut, Scallions, Snow Peasor pea pods, Spinach, SummerSquash, Swiss Chard, Tomatos, Turnips, Zucchini. Many lists show the top five complex carbs as: Oatmeal, whole grain bread (without enriched flour, cornsyrup or sugars), brown rice, sweet potatoes or yams, fruits and veggies. These are the carbs to eat if you are trying to lose weight.Simple Carbs Should Be Avoided Your body quickly breaks down simple carbs, giving your blood sugar a spike and sending you running back to the kitchen or snack machine within hours of your last fix. Unless you're an athlete or need a sudden rush of energy forsome reason, it's usually best to avoid these carbs in your daily diet: Refined grains like white bread, white rice and enriched pasta, processed foods such as cake, candy, cookies and chips, white potatoes, sweetened soft drinks, sugar.The lists for the five worst carbs to eat show these:1. Chips 2. Sugary deserts (doughnuts, pastries, cookies, cakes,pies, candies) 3. Cola and carbonated beverages 4. Sugar, honey, syrup, jam, jelly, molasses 5. White bread. Change your diet – change your life! Love, Sister Nilsen
Reminder to All!
As a full-time representative of the Lord, you are able to influence people here in The Great Ohio as well as friends and family back home. What better way to bring them into the mission than through your inspiring letters?! Sharing positive wonderful experiences and testimonies will build, reactivate and inspire others to come closer to Christ. Please use your letters and emails to lift the reader as well as yourself. If you are having struggles with your companion, leaders, or others, part of growing in the gospel is learning how to work out your differences and how to cooperate as adults - so take your issues to the people involved and fix them. As a representative of the Lord, remember to behave like one in everyway, loving all and serving all in every moment.
Newsflash from the Missionary Department!
For privacy and liability reasons, missionaries are not allowed to mention investigators or converts by fullname in any and all electronic and written correspondence. Full names are especially not to be published online by you or your families and we will only be posting the first name of recent converts in The Harvester.
Another Newsflash!
You are most welcome to vote this upcoming election.In order to do so you will need to vote by absentee ballot and that needs to be done well in advance of the actual election. Please write to your family to help you get this organized.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 5
TheOHIO COLUMBUS MISSION STANDARDS OF EXCELLENCE Areas of Focus
1. We are 100% obe dient all the time. 2. We are ALWAYS FINDING. 3. We SERVE the members and EARN their referrals. 4. We INVITE all new investigators during the first lesson to pray, read the Book of Mormon, attend church, and be baptized. (We strongly encourage informal chapel tours.) 5. We ACHIEVE our goals through faith, prayer, fasting and exceptionally hard and smart work.
Weekly Companionship Goals 1. We have 80% + “member present” for lessons after the first discussion. 2. We find 3 or more new investigators each week. We always have 15-20 part-member or less-active families/individuals we are serving. 3. We have at least two investigators at church each week focused on the Ordinance of the Sacrament. 4. We teach 20+ lessons a week. 5. We complete at least one short service project per week, preferably serving our Bishops and Ward Mission Leaders and others under their direction. We build trust and earn their referrals. 6. We achieve all of our morning schedules —- 100% per week—the foundation of our day. This includes role playing for the members and investigators that we teach.
Weekly/Monthly Companionship Goal:Baptize one person or family every week/month!
Baptized & Confirmed— byZone for May June July
Cincinnati 4 3 7,Cincinnati -East 8 6 7,Cincinnati North,5 5 5Columbus4 0 8,Columbus East 6 5 9,Columbus North 3 0 2,Columbus South 6 2 8,Dayton 3 6 4,Dayton East 4 1 9,Totals 43 28 59 Converts
Taught By
Caleb Elders Morley & HanceyElder & Sister Stoddard
Brian Elders McClellan, Beck, Richey, & M. Anderson
Brianna Elders Ottley & Smuin
Jazzmyne Elders Ottley & Smuin
Kathryn Elders Ottley & Smuin
Myron Anthony Elders Unzaga & Moore
Alicia Michelle Elders Unzaga & Moore
Jonathan Elders M. Anderson & Ogden
Brooklyn Elders Fullmer & Castro
Roger Elders Seely & Lund
Janiece Elders Hawkins & Galliher
Peter & Kelly Elders Hawkins & Galliher
Kayla Elders Hawkins & Galliher
Kerrigan Elders Hawkins & Galliher
Kiera Elders Hawkins & Galliher
Kristina Elders Hawkins & Galliher
Jason Sisters Weedon & Bradford
Henry Elders Riquelme & Cullimore
Dottie Sisters Gibson & Kay
Larry Elders Long & Gardner
Nate, Gabriel Elders Roberts & Beverley
Mario ,Elders Crawford, Hoole, Luna,
Matthew, Elders Gardner, Poulsen, Long
Nathan,Elders Gardner, Poulsen, Long
Tracy,Elders Gardner, Poulsen, Long
Geo, Elders Rollins, Gayer, Birch, Harris
Jason,Sisters Gibson & Kay
Mason, Elders Evans & Price
Gary, Elders Unzaga, Moore, & Wilson
Rosie, Elders M. Anderson & Ogden
Carlos, Elders Luna & Neilson
Shantiquae,Elders Smith & Abbott
Bret Allen,Elder & Sister Larsen
Chad,Elders Bodily & Osieczanek
Colleen,Elders Bodily & Osienzanek
Kyla Rae,Elders Morley & Hancey
Daniel, Elders Bushman & Wheedon
Christopher, Elders Wilson & Nielsen
Jessica,Elders Holgreen & Iverson
Heather, Elders Bullock & Saunders
Elizabeth,Sisters Kluzek & Ward
Isabel, Sisters Kluzek & Ward
Mike,Elders Shelton & Rasmussen
Shirley,Elders G. Brown & Nikolaus
Tiffany Ann,Elders Holgreen & Iverson
Tyshara Danee,Elders Richards & Christensen
Allyse,Sisters Kluzek & Ward
Beatrice,Elders Byington & Cook
Stacie, Elders Smith & Alger
Christopher, Elders Bullock & Saunders
Grace,Elders Beck & Loosli
Carmella,Elders Hawkins & Galliher
Irene,Elders Garner & Brown
Rose,Elders Morley & Hancey
Julius, Sisters Weedon & Bradford
Michael, Sisters Weedon & Bradford
Misti,Sisters Weedon & Bradford
James,Elders A. Pearson & Giles
Note: Baptisms are not listed here until the paperwork is received in the office. Thus, some June and July baptisms are actually listed here and some July baptisms will be listed in the next issue.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 6 New Missionaries!
Elder Dillon Benavides, Elder Andrew Brown,Elder Thomas Clay,Elder Jeremy Cornia Sister Brianna Dycus,Elder Connor Graff,Elder Taylor Holmes, Sister Lin Xi Li (Beijing), Elder Joshua Park,Elder Winslow Walker,
Departing Testimonies for Missionaries returning home in August 2012
At this time, I am at a loss of words. The only thing that comes to mind is that of a man from back home. He said: "as a missionary prepares to leave on his mission, the Lord asks the missionary to dedicate two years of his life to preach the gospel. In exchange,the Lord, for two years, relieves the missionary from burdens of typical life (school, girls, social status, worries, concerns, decisions, etc) and figuratively puts them on a shelf. Over the course of the next two years, the missionary doesn't have to worry about anything else other than sharing the gospel. In the process, the missionary develops faith and learns to trust the Lord. The mis-sionary comes to realize that faith can be a powerful tool in missionary work and learns how to use it well. At the end of two years, as the missionary returns, the Lord takes everything that he put on the shelf for two years and gives it back to the now returning missionary. But he gives the things back, along with one powerful tool that will help the returning missionary the rest of his life, to deal with all the decisions, challenges, life changes, etc. The very same tool that the Lord helped the missionary develop on his mission is the same tool that will help the returned missionary face whatever comes his way.....FAITH." I am now armed with that faith and prepared to do whatever the Lord may ask of me. I know that this is the Lord's church upon the earth. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and provides us with the faith and power needed to carry forth the gospel to the world.The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the happiest and most abundant path we could follow throughout our life. Trust in the Lord and enjoy your mission. Do your best and the Lord does the rest! He loves you.. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
Elder Kory Edward Borgia
I know that the Book of Mormon is true; I know this because of the witness I have received from the Holy Ghost. I know that the Priesthood does work; this I know because I have seen it work in the lives of others. I have felt the power of God when I have been the one on the receiving end. I know that the true Gospel of Jesus Christ changes lives. This is the work of God and nothing will stop it from going forward, even me. Jesus is the Christ, he loves us, and he has asked us to be a part of his work. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.Sincerely, Elder Fred Stile Fagergren
Oh, how I love this mission! I am so grateful for the time thatI have spent serving the Lord!! I am so grateful for my Father in Heaven. He has taken so much care for me that I could never repay him. He gave up His Son to die for me that someday I will live with Him again. Because I have served a full-time mission, I know where to find the fullness of joy! I have found the iron rod that leads to the fountain of living waters! I love you all Elders and Sisters! Please leave this mission better than you found it. Always remember to work hard and follow the Spirit. I know God will bless you! Don’t forget—Long live Cowboys!! In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Elder Parker John Cummings
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 7
Elders and Sisters of the Great Ohio!! I am so thankful for each one of you and your decision to serve the Lord. Serving here alongside you has been the most miraculous experience of my life;I have truly been changed for the better because of these two INCREDIBLY short years that I was given. The love of our Savior is real. He truly cares about each one of us and about each and every person no matter who we are or where we're from we can make a difference for good if we learn to rely on Him and to accept His will for our lives. This is His work and we are so blessed to get to be His hands today. Missions truly are challenging, but it is so worth every moment of hardship just to see that change in the eyes of our investigators as they come to know, as we know, just how real the Atonement is. We don't HAVE to do this, we GET to do this! I love this work and I know that the Gospel is true. I love The Ohio and each of her sons and daughters I have had the blessing of teaching. Thank you for your selfless service. I know you will be blessed beyond measure for what you give. The church is true!!Elder Daniel Lee Fereday
I know that I am a representative of Jesus Christ that invites all those to receive the ordinances of salvation. I know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Savior, and Redeemer of the World. I know that Joseph Smith was His Prophet and Seer that opened this last dispensation. The Book of Mormon, the evidence of the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, IS TRUE! I firmly believe these things because of the convincing power of the Holy Ghost. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Elder Benjamin Murray
My testimony is short but strong. I KNOW that Jesus is the Christ and that He atoned for our sins. To all the missionaries reading this: Bare His name with honor for that is when you will return with honor. I know this church is true. In the name of Jesus Christ,Amen.Elder Loyd E. Hancey
The greatest testimony I can share is the fact that God sent his Son so we can all be here. I know without a doubt that God does exist. I know God is still working with his children and wants them back to the paths in which he was able to create for them. I can see the power our Father has given to each of us within our daily lives. I want to let Him and His Son know that I served with all my heart, might, mind, and strength. I know that THIS WORK IS HIS WORK. When I work hard, I can feel the words in which I testify to those who need the Saviors Love. I Love The Ohio, and Kentucky for the Lord has shown me what I can do for His children in this vineyard. I know all of this, because I know Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. I treasure this testimony. In the name of Jesus Christ, our Advocate, Amen.
Elder Ryan Holt
Dear Elders and Sisters: This is the greatest work we can do. This is a great opportunity that we have to share the gospel for two year sof our lives. Don’t waste an opportunity to share this precious message. There are people waiting for it to bless their lives. Help them gain faith through keeping commitments. I know that obedience brings blessings. I know that we have a loving Heavenly Father that is helping His children inside and outside this church. I know that The Book of Mormon is another testament of our Savior. “Do or do Not—there is no try” (Yoda) Have faith to do miracles. Inthe name of Jesus Christ, Amen.Elder Spencer Larsen
I know that my Savior lives. I have felt His love for me duringthe hardest times of my life. I have learned to look towards heaven for strength and counsel. And when I've turned to God to know if The Book of Mormon is true or not, I've received ananswer that it is true. For anyone that is trying to find that same answer that I've gained must learn for themselves the joy and the sweetness of the gospel and the peace of the Spirit. This is how I know when I'm feeling the Spirit. And as I continue to learn about the gospel, my appreciation for Christ's love for me grows, my understanding of the mysteries of God deepens, and my ability to love others comes naturally as I follow my Savior. This serves as a second witness to me of the divinity of the gospel, that after I've learned that these things are true, and as I begin to live the gospel, I am quickened by the Spirit continually. I know that this is His church and His gospel with His prophets with His authority, and most of all His love. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.Elder Bretton Neville
Dear Elders and Sisters of the Great OCM: I know that this gospel is true, that Joseph Smith is a Prophet of God, that the Book of Mormon is sacred scripture and that there is nothing more important that we could be doing right now than to share this with as many people as we can. It has blessed my life so much, and I am so grateful that I have been able to share these blessing with others. I love The Ohio and I love all ofyou. Have fun, work hard, and pray harder. Through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ everything is possible. Never forget who you are and who you represent. Elder Chaz Rollins
I know that God is our loving Heavenly Father. I know thatHe has a plan for everyone and that the family is central to thatplan. I testify that He speaks to us and we can speak to Him through prayer. Jesus Christ makes possible the plan that Godhas for us. He came to earth to redeem us from our sins. He established His church and taught His gospel. I’m grateful for the prophets and apostles that He calls because through them we have the authority of the Priesthood of God. I know that Joseph Smith restored the Church of Jesus Christ, received thePriesthood, and was called to be a prophet. I know that because I have read the Book of Mormon and it has helped me draw nearer to God. I know that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet today. I am grateful for all that I’ve learned and experienced as a missionary. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.Elder Rhett Ramsey
Elders & Sisters: It doesn’t matter who we are or what our talents are. We can all become Disciples of Jesus Christ. I know that if we are willing to change, apply the Atonement, and become one with our Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ, then we will have the Spirit with us and we will become the men, women, and missionaries that we want to be and that the Lord would have us be.I know that obedience brings forth the blessings of Heaven. As it says in John 7:17 “If any man will do His will, he shall know of the Doctrine.” If you don’t believe me, put it to the test—Be obe-dient and see the blessings that come. Serving here in “The Ohio”is a sacred privilege that the Lord has granted each of us. Don’t waste a second! I know that Jesus Chris is my Savior and your Savior. I know that Joseph Smith is His prophet of the Restoration and I know that President Thomas S. Monson is His Prophet today. The Book of Mormon is the evidence of all of this and I know that is true. I love each of you. I love President & Sister Nilsen. I love this Ohio. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. Elder Courtney Lund
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment